Global Challenge #9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Successful communities are based on the foundation of sound, efficient and resilient infrastructure. It’s imperative that we promote, invest and upgrade infrastructure globally. Innovations in development and infrastructure are crucial drivers of economic growth and development. With half of the world now living in cities, we need to promote sustainable technology for mass transport and renewable energy.
Manufacturing and Industry Statistics
- Manufacturing is a key driver of economic development, social stability and employment. The value of manufacturing as a share of GDP increased to 16.2% in 2016. In the same year manufacturing value per capita was $4,621 in Europe and North America. The value added per capita in the least developed countries was only $100.
- Investments in research stood at 1.7% of global GDP
- There were 1,098 researchers per million people in 2014
- Official Development Assistance (ODA) for infrastructure in developing countries reached $57 billion
- Main benefiting sectors were transport and energy
- Medium and high-tech products continue to dominated 80% of manufacturing production in industrialized economies whereas the share in the least developed countries was only 10%
The Infrastructure Challenge
How can we as global citizens help ensure the proper investments are in place to drive infrastructure, innovation and support a strong, growing economy? Solutions to environmental and economic challenges depends heavily on technological progress and innovation. Investing in research and sustainability opens doors to new jobs and economic opportunity to build stable and prosperous societies across the globe.Use Prepr to guide your innovation and development.