Global Challenge #13 – Climate Change
Climate change is no longer a topic up for debate. It is an undeniable real threat to our entire civilization. The effects are currently visible and will be extreme if no appropriate and sustainable actions are taken. Through education, innovation and staying true to the commitments we have made, we can take steps towards protecting our planet.
Effects of Global Warming
- The warming of the earth has continued through 2016, setting a new record of about 1.1 degrees centigrade above the pre-industrialized period
- Drought conditions continue to persist throughout the world
- Global sea ice levels fell to the second lowest in recent history
- Arctic ice sheets are melting at 413 gigatonnes per year
- Ocean levels are rising due to ice melting from the rising heat, ultimately increasing water’s temperature by .309 degrees
- The sea level rose about 8 inches in the last century
- The amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades – snow is melting earlier
- Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels reached a record high of 400 parts per million
- Since 1950, the number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing
- Number of deaths due to natural disasters continues to rise
The Climate Challenge
It’s imperative that we make the changes necessary to protect our planet. Discovering new, innovative ways to sustain the planet will also provide huge opportunities to modernize infrastructure, create new jobs and ultimately promote global prosperity. We have a unique opportunity to show how tackling climate change can go together with a healthy economy and an improved quality of life. Get started with Prepr today and commit to help change the world we live in.